Sunday, May 26, 2024
spot_img

Japanese delegation assesses environmental and social impact of Mphanda Nkuwa project

The Government of Japan, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), conducted a working visit to the province of Tete, in central Mozambique, to assess the implementation of the environmental and social plans related to the Mphanda Nkuwa project. During the visit, the Japanese delegation interacted with local communities, authorities and the Mphanda Nkuwa Hydroelectric Project Implementation Office (GMNK) team, discussing the progress and challenges of the project.

The main topics discussed included institutional capacity building, the development of a master plan and the possibility of technical training for Mozambican professionals in the energy sector. Japan expressed its willingness to coordinate efforts with Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM) and Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa (HCB) to facilitate the construction of the dam.

The Mphanda Nkuwa project aims to meet the country’s growing energy demands, offering opportunities to mitigate climate change and preserve the environment. It also represents a significant investment in renewable energy infrastructure, positioning Mozambique as a key player in the sector and attracting domestic and foreign investment.

Construction of the dam is expected to take five years and start operating in 2031, at an estimated cost of 4.5 billion euros. The project includes the development of a run-of-river dam on the Zambezi River, a hydroelectric power station with a capacity of up to 1,500 megawatts and a high-voltage transmission line from Tete to Maputo, totaling around 1,300 kilometers.

Last December, the Mozambican government and a consortium led by Electricité de France (EDF) signed agreements to implement the project. The international consortium, which also includes France’s TotalEnergies and Japan’s Sumitomo Corporation, owns 70% of the hydroelectric plant, while HCB and EDM hold the remaining 30% on behalf of the Mozambican state.

Entrevistas Relacionadas

Mozambique seeks private partnerships to expand energy network

The National Energy Fund (FUNAE) has emphasized the need...

Mozambique recorded 14% growth in energy production

The production of electricity through solar parks in Mozambique...

EDM reveals 9% growth in energy exports to neighboring countries by 2023

The public company Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM) has announced...

Mozambique reaches 67% of electrification target

Mozambique is making great strides towards its goal of...