Thursday, July 18, 2024
spot_img

Mozambican government formalizes strategic partnership for Mphanda Nkuwa project

The Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy (MIREME) will take a significant step forward today, December 13, when it signs the agreement making official the implementation of the Mphanda Nkuwa hydroelectric project, located in the Tete region. This milestone represents the consolidation of a strategic partner selection process which, according to MIREME, has been conducted in a competitive, rigorous and transparent manner since June 2022.
The project, estimated at 4.5 billion dollars, came to prominence in May this year, when the Mozambican Executive, through the Mphanda Nkuwa Hydroelectric Project Implementation Office (GMNK), announced its preference for the consortium led by Electricité de France (EDF). The consortium also includes TotalEnergies, Sumitomo Corporation and Kansai.
The shareholder distribution of the project will be led by the consortium, which will hold 70% of the shares. The remaining 30% will be shared between the state companies Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM) and Hidroeléctrica de Cahora Bassa (HCB). The consortium, made up of four companies, will divide its holdings as follows: TotalEnergies with 30%, Electricidade de França with 40%, and Sumitomo Corporation and Kansai with 15% each.

The agreement to be signed today represents not only a formal commitment to implementing the project, but also an important step forward in the quest to diversify the country’s energy matrix. The Mphanda Nkuwa project aims to significantly boost Mozambique’s electricity generation capacity, thus contributing to sustainable economic development.
MIREME emphasizes that the choice of the consortium led by EDF was the result of a careful process, guaranteeing the participation of qualified partners committed to standards of excellence and sustainability.
This historic agreement strengthens relations between Mozambique and the companies involved in the consortium, reinforcing confidence in foreign investment in the energy sector. The Mphanda Nkuwa project not only promises a transformation in the country’s energy scenario, but also opens up new prospects for international partnerships aimed at sustainable development.

Entrevistas Relacionadas

Mozambique proposes adapted approach to energy transition for developing countries

Mozambique argues that global targets for reducing greenhouse gas...

World Bank earmarks 150 million dollars to boost Mozambique’s energy sector

The World Bank will channel 150 million dollars into...

Niassa: work on 400 million meticais mini hydro plant completed

Construction work on the 479-kilowatt mini hydroelectric plant in...

Mozambique plans to supply 5.5 GW of regional energy demand by 2030

During the Mozambique-Italy Business Forum, held on Monday, June...